Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dating

Today for Priesthood/RS lesson we had our Stake President do the lesson. He took questions that anyone had. I knew at least one would involve dating. The last one he talked about was in fact about dating. Someone asked if he had any suggestions on dating members of the church because it seems at times it is easier to date out of the church. He had all the guys stand up and ask if they remembered the covenants they made in the temple. They all nodded. He said that it was all the guys responsibilities to date and to be the ones asking girls out on dates. He said that he thought that Christ would hold the guys responsible for what they did and did not do in regards to dating. (We'll be held accountable for a lot more than that but that's what he focused on.)
He also talked about having a long term perspective on life and more importantly dating. He asked us how long we existed before we came to the earth. It was a long time and in that time we were single. In this life, in the context of eternity, we are single for a short while- no matter when we get married, next week, next year, in 10 years or even in 50 years. This life is short. We have all of eternity to look forward to. Eternity is a long time as well. That is a time that we won't spend as singles.
So I guess what I took out of his message was to live in the moment. I know that I have all of eternity to look forward to. So whenever that happy occasion does happen for me, and I know it will happen, I know that it will be when it is supposed to happen and with the person it's supposed to happen with. I love this gospel and the peace it brings me on days such as today.

0 comments: